Last updated on April 9th, 2018 at 03:39 pm
Mexican Corn Bread Casserole
This Mexican corn bread casserole is a delicious, cost-effective recipe to make and is really easy to throw together in a pinch. Serve with sour cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 1/2 chopped bell pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add ground beef, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook and stir until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mix corn into the beef mixture and toss to defrost, about 3 minutes. Drain and discard fat. Add about 1/4 of the shredded Mexican cheese blend and mix well. Pour meat sauce into a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Cover meat with a thin layer of salsa.
- Combine cornmeal, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add milk and eggs; stir until well blended. Pour cornmeal mixture on top of salsa layer and top with remaining shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned on top, about 30 minutes.
- This can be made with any meat substitute.
- Any shredded cheese will do.