4 tsp finely ground coriander seeds
4 tsp finely ground anise seeds
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp ground paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
125ml (4fl oz) olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
680g (1 lb 8 oz) boneless sirloin steak, trimmed, cut into 32mm (1 1/4in) cubes
12 red pearl onions, peeled and cut in half longways
1. Preheat the grill until hot.
2. Place the ground coriander and anise seeds in a medium-sized bowl. Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper and 60ml (2fl oz) olive oil. Season the marinade with salt and pepper, and stir until combined. Add the sirloin cubes, and stir to coat; set aside.
3. In a medium-size bowl, combine the onions and the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
4. Divide the steaks among four skewers; thread, leaving 12mm (1/2 in) between each cube. Divide the onions among another four skewers and thread them.
5. Grill the sirloin kebabs until well-browned and medium-rare, and grill the onion until glistening, tender and slightly charred, 5-7 minutes for both. Serve on the skewers.